The Analyst is responsible for producing industry and/or functional analysis reports in support of search engagements, specialty practices and new business initiatives. This includes competitive information, product information and target company list development. The Analyst provides analysis and conclusions to be incorporated into a client-ready document.
- Assist in the creation of content for qualifications packs for new business development initiatives. Develops a solid understanding of the potential client/client’s industry including specific information regarding the “value proposition” (competitive landscape, strengths, and weaknesses), stock performance, employee count, etc. Synthesize information accurately, so that it is easily incorporated into a readable, client-ready document.
- Maintain current awareness of news and issues associated with key client engagements and market opportunities and share that information and knowledge in a timely way with associates, consultants and knowledge management.
- Assist in high level name generation and organization chart creation. Contribute to the long list creation by leveraging internal and external databases to provide commentary on potential candidates.
- Participate in kick-off meetings with Associates and Consultants to assist in the development of the search strategy. Directly assist Associates with search-related tasks, such as the development of a search strategy and target list.
- Develop industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and “best in class” leaders/future leaders.
- Support in the research and production of firm-level intellectual capital (e.g. the CSSBI and leadership thought pieces) and analytically oriented client reports (e.g. compensation studies).
- An undergraduate degree.
- Familiar with business reference/research resources such as LinkedIn, Morningstar, Lexis Nexus, Capital IQ and other various news sources.
- Experience using Microsoft’s Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
- Has completed research that includes a detailed analysis of a business, industry, or market.
- Experience managing multiple internal and external stakeholders and projects with a high capacity for work.
- Fluent in English (written & spoken); additional language skills will be an advantage.
CRITICAL CAPABILITIES FOR SUCCESS
Project Management – Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support of new business development and search assignment support as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate and timely research information about executives, organizations, markets or other relevant sectors.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align resources where/when needed and proactively reprioritizing own workload to provide additional support to assignment team where/when needed.
- Being prepared, where necessary, to work longer hours and to be available out of working hours, committing to deadlines and communicating progress against them to the assignment team and/or client.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Synthesizes research for business development initiatives, search assignments or intellectual capital initiatives and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Using effective business writing skills to create succinct, client-ready analyses and documenting information in Firm databases.
Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate and peer feedback while working with individuals who have differing styles by:Interacts with a range of internal and external stakeholders and candidates with differing styles and egos, understanding and appreciating what is important to each.
- Being authentic.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
Working at Spencer Stuart provides a rare opportunity for intellectual challenge, professional development, collaboration with caring colleagues, and importantly, the delivery of important and meaningful client work. As executive search and leadership consulting professionals, we are fortunate to earn a front row seat into some of the most important talent discussions at the world’s most recognized and valued organizations. Leadership decisions are critical to get right yet are deeply personal for those involved. Because these decisions affect the performance and reputations of our client organizations and the careers of individuals, we recognize the responsibility upon us and operate with great commitment, discretion and purpose. We enjoy winning, but also seek to give back. Those who thrive in results-driven, caring and team-oriented environments will find the culture at Spencer Stuart to be a great fit.
For more information and videos that describe our culture and work in greater detail, we invite you to visit our website https://www.spencerstuart.com/
Founded in 1956, Spencer Stuart is the leading international leadership advisory firm in the world, specializing in a wide range of advisory services addressing organization, team and individual performance; senior-level executive search and board director appointments. Spencer Stuart is a partnership with a team of over 1800 people who work in 57 offices across 30 countries. We are organized into industry practices and our client work is delivered in teams, often across international boundaries, in order to maximize sector specialization and knowledge sharing. More than 65% of our business is conducted for repeat clients, reflecting an embedded commitment to quality that we independently assess after every assignment.
As a privately held partnership, we pride ourselves on fostering a special culture, which is both highly collegial and non-hierarchical – one in which intelligence, insight, excellence, responsiveness, humor, global spirit and interpersonal skills are highly valued. For more information visit: www.spencerstuart.com.