A Proficient Project Control Officer is responsible for the development, maintenance and variance analysis/reporting of a small to mid-sized Information Technology Program Plan. A Program Plan may consist of up to ten project/program plans, which have been integrated to develop the implementation/release roadmap. A Project Control Officer has knowledge of Project Management and/or Release Management practices. The PCO’s responsibility is to oversee and provide ongoing support to the Program/Delivery Manager and Digital Release Manager with the creation and development of detailed project/program management schedules and Delivery/Release Roadmaps to implement a Digital program.
This role oversees and manages all the Project Manager’s/Delivery project/program plans and their deliverables. They support the Program/Delivery and Release Manager to ensure operational effectiveness of program/release execution, adhering to Large Program Management Framework (LPgMF), Program Management Framework (PMF), Agile Management Framework (AMF), and Digital Release Management best practices. They oversee the development, implementation and execution of project/program schedules, status reporting, variance analysis, and reporting, resource planning, change control, performance measures, and risk assessments ensuring any risks to the completion of the project/program/release schedules are effectively identified, mitigated and/or escalated.
- Following RBC Large Program Management Framework (LPgMF), Program Management Framework (PMF), Agile Management Framework (AMF) and Digital Release Management best practices the PCO will assist with Project Plan and Delivery Roadmap preparation and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) definition.
- Supports the Program Manager & Release Management in planning, executing, controlling and closing phases of the program and releases. Participates in PMO planning and development sessions (strategic and tactical plans).
- Analyses and extensively monitors the milestone reports so that any impacts to schedule can be escalated to the Program/Delivery Manager and Release Manager.
- Completes weekly Schedule Variance reports & PCO Project Status Reports and Scorecards. Prepare Weekly PMO Report package, including Program Status Summary, Milestones Reports.
- Completes Release Management reports including a weekly Delivery Roadmap and monthly Key Performance Indicators (KPI) reports.
- Provide customized reports for key program leaders and management team, as needed.
- Supports Project Manager/Delivery Lead and Release Manager to monitor the Action Items Log, Risks Tracking Log, Issues Tracking Log, Change Requests Log, and Decisions Log.
- Assists Project/Program Managers in the development, management and ongoing maintenance of Project/Program Schedules. Assists Project/Program Managers in identifying inter-project task dependencies and constraints.
- Conducts weekly risk assessment of the project/program/release schedule highlighting high risks to key deliverables and resource conflicts.
- Assist PM/RM in doing “what if” scenarios on schedule to recover any slippages identified.
- Provide ongoing coaching and training to the Project Managers on Project Management and Release Management best practices; phase planning, effective Project Execution Methods & Proactive Risk Management Techniques & Mitigation Strategies as it relates to Schedule Management.
- Assists PM/Delivery Lead with the Work Breakdown Structure definition.
- Assists PM/RM with detailed task list creation and documentation.
- Assists PM/RM in documenting project/release constraints and assumptions.
- Assists PM/ RM to define detailed tasks & validate estimates.
- Assists PM by entering the detailed project schedule to EPM.
- Assists PM with resource assignments and leveling in EPM.
- Assists PM with the ongoing monitoring of the schedule in EPM.
- Analyses and monitors the milestone reports extensively so that any impacts to schedule can be escalated to Project Manager/Program Delivery Lead/Release Manager.
- Provides PM/RM with weekly reporting including Schedules & Scorecards.
- Performs weekly Risk Assessment on the Release Schedule identifying potential risks/opportunities and recommend mitigation strategies.
- Escalates potential schedule issues.
- Assists PM in Integrating and monitoring progress of 3rd party vendor plans on an ongoing basis, as needed.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Project Management Certification would be an asset
- 1 - 5 years previous experience as a Project Control Officer on small to mid-sized programs, including Release Management
Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge of project or release management methodology is essential
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills
- Ability to influence without authority, solicit cooperation and resolve conflict
- Effective multitasking abilities to concurrently oversee and assess progress of diverse projects
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at jobs.rbc.com.