PLEASE NOTE: ONE OF OUR HOST PARTNERS THAT WORKS IN THE RETAIL INDUSTRY IS HIRING FOR THIS POSITION. CAREER EDGE IS NOT HIRING FOR THIS ROLE. THE ROLE IS LOCATED IN MARKHAM.
This is an ideal entry-level position to begin a career for someone with a passion for law and business. The Franchise Legal Administrator will work closely with the current Franchise Legal Coordinator and Manager, Franchising to coordinate appropriate paperwork and documentation for franchisees. The successful candidate will interact regularly with a wide range of external contacts including banks and lawyers.
Education & Experience
- University or College education, with a focus in business, commerce, and/or legal administration
- 2+ years in an office environment: legal or administration office experience an asset
- Experience drafting and administering contracts and legal documents is considered a strong asset
- Strong organizational ability and follow-up skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a pleasant and outgoing telephone manner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and comfort in dealing with all levels of stakeholders inside and outside the organization
- Ability to proofread large quantities of written work with a great eye for detail
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to adhere to multiple, time-sensitive deadlines
- Good sensibility regarding handling of confidential information
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including: Word, Excel and Outlook
- Flexibility and a willingness to “pitch in” on projects as required
- Assist franchisees or their lawyers on the process for the full and accurate completion of paperwork relating to renewals and sublease extensions
- Answer general inquiries from franchisees, and escalate to the Franchise Legal Coordinator or appropriate executive any question or concern presented by a franchisee is beyond the scope of the role.
- Provide direction to franchisees, or their legal representatives, on how to complete their paperwork correctly.
- Coordinate with receptionist to send franchisee birthday cards and flowers.
- Process and file all franchise-related documents, and archive documents after transfer, repurchase, termination, or expiry of franchise agreements.
- Maintain and update franchisee information (name, address, birthdays, etc.), as well as correspondence in the database for ease of retrieval.
- Update appropriate track sheets for special deals, inventory agreements with the bank, franchise deposits, outstanding items, and archive files.
- Create customer numbers in NAV software for store activity and complete actions required on the new store checklists and conversion steps for corporate sales or repurchases.
- Keep track of all of the renewal dates for the year, and place reminders for 6 months out to begin the renewal process.
- Monitor franchisee completion of the Learning Management System and other Operational Standards in order to determine a store’s eligibility to renew.
- Prepare renewal condition letters to send to franchisees prior to renewal.
- Once confirmed, send out the Franchise Disclosure Document (“FDD”) for their renewal.
- Create the renewal documents for execution, and arrange for franchisee execution and return of all renewal documents.
- Provide notice to the Finance Department to update accounting system once renewals are received and renewal fee arrangements have been made.
- Keep track of renewal dates for expiring leases and prepare sublease amending agreements to reflect renewals in a timely manner.
- Prepare sublease agreements to reflect address and size changes for store expansions and relocations.
- Arrange for franchisee execution and return, and follow up as required.
Franchise Disclosure Documents (as requested to support the franchising department)
- Coordinate delivery of FDD to prospective franchisees.
- Prepare and send out “Statement of Material Change” documents as necessary.
- Maintain tracking of delivery, sign-back of receipt and “cooling-off period”, and follow up when required to ensure efficient time frames for store activity.
- Scan FDD receipts and file them accordingly.
- Conduct security searches to collect information about any liens on the assets
- Coordinate with the operations and finance departments to set a closing date.
- Assist the Franchise Legal Coordinator in preparing closing documents in a timely manner to meet repurchase deadlines.
Franchise Sales and Transfers
- Assist Franchise Sales Coordinator with performing Backcheck and credit criminal reference checks.