Munich Re is one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies with approximately 45,000 employees in over 50 locations around the globe. As an industry leader, we provide a unique opportunity to be part of a global success story. We offer our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which champions high performance, professional development, innovation and passion; and rewards top performers with a highly competitive total rewards package.
This entry-level, contract position is for graduating students from relevant Undergraduate and Masters programs to join Munich Re, Canada and gain exposure to reinsurance data management. We’re looking to build a future talent pipeline; and candidates who demonstrate achievement in this 6-12 month temporary role will be considered for permanent opportunities with our greatly expanding team.
Individual Reinsurance Operations (IRO) is an integral part of Munich Re; responsible for the end-to-end processing of Life and Living Benefits treaties (reinsurance contracts with ceding companies) and corresponding client data. As a vital member of the team, joining our Center of Excellence (COE); the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring reinsurance data on assigned client accounts is processed with a high level of accuracy and efficiency.
As the Data Management Analyst, your responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to) all the following areas:
Ceded Reinsurance Data Management:
- Accurately interpret Treaty agreements along with the underlying insurance product reinsured;
- Ensure client data received is compliant with guidelines as it pertains to being within the boundaries of the treaty/facultative agreements;
- Analyze exception handling reports to determine root cause and optimal resolution;
- Execute a variety of reinsurance processes using SQL and recommend enhancements to existing processes;
- Investigate and resolve complex data issues by working with other Reinsurance Analysts, internal departments (such as: Underwriting, Corporate Valuation, Biometrics, Pricing), or the client.
- Ensure a trustworthy relationship is maintained with external clients in facilitating receipt of essential data. This includes responding to client inquiries with accurate information, data, and/or statistics in a confident, timely, and effective manner;
- Provide accurate treaty-related data and/or statistics (analysis) to internal stakeholders and business partners allowing them to confidently carry out their responsibilities.
Continuous Process Improvement (CPI):
- Identify and implement process improvements to optimize the design and setup of Treaties and support the provision of data and statistics to clients and internal stakeholders;
- Continue to identify enhancements to the administrative systems and support tools to allow for increased efficiencies;
- Support other COE members in meeting team objectives, mentoring and training (new) team members as assigned.
As the Data Management Analyst with IRO, you must demonstrate the ability to learn quickly, synthesize and implement timely and accurate solutions, and be able to effectively explain concepts to others. You’re self-motivated with a strong work ethic and drive to innovate and make an impactful contribution to the team.
Specifically, we’re looking for the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial/Computer/Data Science,
- Computer/Software Engineering, Business, or equivalent program with heavy focus in data manipulation and/or analysis;
- 0-3 years of experience (co-op/internships included) in a data-related role performing quantitative analysis, modelling, and/or reporting;
- Experience with using SQL to query/analyze data;
- Advanced experience using Excel (ie: VLOOKUP, IF function, Pivot Tables, etc), and additional Microsoft Suite applications (Access, Word, and Outlook);
- Strong mathematical aptitude with superior attention to detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated flexibility and effectiveness working under tight timelines;
- Proven ability to adapt in a dynamic environment;
- Excellent communication skills – spoken & written;
- Experience in the insurance industry would be an asset;
- Experience working with R and/or Python is considered an asset;
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly. We thank all candidates for their interest.