Position Title: Information Technology Admin
Duration: 6 months
Hours of Work / Work Schedule: 35 hours/week
Position Reports To: Manager, Infrastructure & Operations
Location: Oshawa location – 115 Grassmere Ave. (Or at other Durham CHC sites).
Durham Community Health Centre (DCHC) is a registered, charitable organization that provides integrated, accessible, and equitable community-based primary care, wellness services, and health education to Durham community members who face multiple barriers to their health and well-being.
DCHC also provides equity-based programs and services that focus on priority populations such as Indigenous, Black, the 2SLGBTQI Community, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, and Unattached patients (i.e., those without a family doctor), to name a few. DCHC ensures Durham community members receive not only sick care, but preventive care as well.
At DCHC, we are a team-based interprofessional group of staff including physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, counselors, dietitians, outreach workers, medical secretaries, and other administrative staff. We always place every client at the centre of our approach to care, based on their needs. We address these needs through integrated clinical and wellness care and health education.
It's an exciting time to be joining DCHC, while we are embarking on an energizing path with a focus on making our biggest impact yet on local health care by diversifying, expanding, and leveraging our Strategic Plan, Theory of Change, Brand, Client Stories and Resources.
DCHC’s 2023 – 2026 Strategic Goals
- Drive Program and Service Integration and Client Experience Across All that DCHC Does
- Evolve Program Offerings to Improve Health Equity and Meet the Needs of DCHC’s Priority Populations
- Establish DCHC as a System Advocate and Champion for Equity
- Enhance DCHC’s Brand and Awareness Across Durham Region
- Become an Employer of Choice with a Focus on Recruitment, Retention, and Development
As an IT Intern, you will play a vital role in supporting the Manager, Infrastructure and Operations with various IT initiatives including cloud migration projects, IT inventory management, IT hardware and software upgrades, and the implementation of technology-assisted solutions. You will work closely with our experienced Managed Service Provider (MSP) to gain valuable insights, develop your skills, and contribute to our organization's success. The intern will also be responsible for ensuring that healthcare sector standards are met in all IT operations related to healthcare systems.
Cloud Migration Projects:
- Assist in planning cloud migration projects, which may involve moving applications, data, and infrastructure to cloud platforms.
- Collaborate with MSP IT team members to ensure a smooth transition and minimal disruptions to operations.
- Help troubleshoot and resolve any issues that may arise during the migration process.
- Apply systems thinking principles to assess the holistic impact of IT projects on the organization.
- Consider the interdependencies and potential ripple effects of changes in IT systems on various departments and processes.
- Assist the manager in developing project plans that incorporate risk assessments, change management strategies, and contingency plans to ensure seamless transitions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather input and feedback, promoting a comprehensive view of projects.
- Stay informed about relevant healthcare sector standards, regulations, and compliance requirements, including HIPAA and other regional or national healthcare data protection laws.
- Collaborate with compliance officers and data protection experts to maintain the highest level of security and privacy for patient data.
IT Inventory Management:
- Maintain accurate records of IT equipment and assets, including computers, peripherals, and software licenses.
- Assist in conducting regular audits and updates to the IT inventory database.
- Help track and manage IT supplies and consumables, ensuring adequate stock levels.
IT Hardware and Software Upgrades:
- Provide support for hardware and software upgrades, including installing, configuring, and troubleshooting IT equipment with the help of the MSP and manager.
- Work with IT team members to ensure all hardware and software are up to date and secure.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for hardware and software optimization.
Technology-Assisted Solution Implementation:
- Participate in the implementation of technology-assisted solutions, such as software applications, automation tools, and digital signage.
- Collaborate with the team to understand end-users needs and ensure solutions are deployed effectively.
- Work closely with IT leadership to understand the organization's strategic objectives and align IT initiatives with these goals.
- Identify potential bottlenecks, vulnerabilities, or disruptions in IT systems that may affect business continuity.
- Provide user support and training for new technologies as needed.
Key skills and Attributes include:
- Recent graduate or currently enrolled in a relevant IT program or related field.
- Strong interest in IT and the healthcare sector.
- Basic understanding of IT concepts and principles.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Proficiency in basic IT support and troubleshooting.
- Exceptional attention to detail and analytical abilities.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Be flexible and adaptable.
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position (Durham CHC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
While we thank all applicants for their interest in applying, only those qualified and considered for an interview will be contacted. All applicant submissions will be kept on file for six months, for future consideration.
All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
All positions are subject to the successful completion of the following pre-employment conditions for all external hires: Reference Checks; and Criminal Background checks (including Vulnerable Sector Screening).
Durham Community Health Centre is committed to complying with all applicable standards as set out in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), the provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code, and any other applicable legislation. Accessibility: If you have accessibility needs and require alternate formats or other accommodations, please let us know. Durham Community Health Centre, and staff are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes diversity.