Responsible for compiling, processing, digitizing & updating geo data and generating thematic mapping and analytics for Waterworks programs and projects. Key responsibilities include QA/QC of process data collected and entered into the ArcGIS and IMS databases.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Compiling, processing/digitizing, updating and mapping support for the following:
New & Existing Program Planning and Implementation Support
- Sewer service line inventory records – validating locates based on Sewer CCTV field inspection
- Water service line inventory records including parcel without meter and parcel with one or multiple meters
- Sewer flushing points (based on LOS and maintenance requirement)
- Water conservation analytics (i.e. identifying locations of high volume water uses based on PowerStream database and Environics data for targeted education/conservation purposes)
- Sewer use by-law enforcement (i.e. potential problems and violations)
- Backflow prevention (i.e. potential problems and violations)
- Non-revenue water tracking (i.e. leak detections, un-metered facilities, flushing, fire fighting, street cleaning, water loss in mains and service connection breaks or leakages, theft, etc.)
- Rain gauge data logger upload/integration
Project Planning and Implementation Support
- Generating water meter thematic layer from cross-reference data points (i.e. PowerStream, Master Address, Tax Databases and SDE Address Shape file.
- Sanitary sewer system upgrade (i.e. identify sewer and manhole repair needs for capital works/operating maintenance, CIPP lining, etc.)
- Cathodic protection (i.e. location of anode installation, test stations and renewal of watermain rust protection/potential break mitigation)
- PowerStream consumption data gaps (identify locations of accounts with consecutive 0 consumptions, consecutive reading estimates, potential meter accuracy issue and significant fluctuations in water consumption)
- Citywide multiphase sanitary system downspout disconnection (i.e. mapping of downspout with connection to sewer line)
- Preparing thematic layer and field survey map for waste collection
Database processing & geo-referencing of site plans and residual as-built drawings to support O&M asset locates (Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act, 2012), including attribute data (i.e. sewer manhole, property manhole, etc.)
Analyze sewer main inspection to identify pipe defects and report infiltration cases using Crystal Report and Arc Map
Update missing roll numbers in Waterworks databases
Preparing GIS shape files
Providing GIS mapping support for infrastructure (i.e. watermain, sewer main and stormwater main) that are crossing watercourses
Analyzing, reviewing, and editing source data and resolving conflicting geographic data as required.
Arcpad GUI programming support (i.e. mobile work management data collection field) for various GIS layers
Python programming to customize ArcGIS layers for querying data and integrating information from different GIS layers
Responds to inquiries from Waterworks staff, internal departments and other customers on related GIS/database matters, as required.
Undertakes special projects and performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with departmental or commission/corporate objectives (i.e. Traffic sign replacement project, hydro park field, waste collection route (i.e. residential, multi-res, etc.)
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or Certified Engineering Technician (C.E.T.) or Applied Digital Geography and GIS
- Minimum of three years experience in GIS mapping, cartographic tools and analysis
- Excellent working experience with ESRI ArcGIS and EAM applications
- Extensive knowledge of water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, project/time management, organizational, analytical, communication, problem-solving, and technical writing skills.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills utilizing word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, reporting, and database software; significant experience with Hansen (IMS) technology.
- Intermediate to advanced programming skills using Arcpad Builder, Visual Basic or Java
- Knowledge of current Waterworks issues and legislation.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants who have applied, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.