The City of Markham has an exciting intern opportunity in our Human Resources department. As an Intern, you will work on projects aligned to our HR strategy. Part of a fast-paced team, this role requires an adaptable mindset – as day-to-day activities will shift based on the initiative requirements. As part of our Client Services team, you will be primarily supporting the recruitment function and will partner with the broader HR team to deliver an exceptional employee experience.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support recruitment related activities which includes job postings, screening applications, scheduling interviews and testing, facilitating reference checks, onboarding etc.
- Monitor and report on social media KPI’s (key performance indicators) and Google analytics on a monthly basis
- Assist with day-to-day HR operations and work with various teams to improve current processes
- Assist in the development or update of various HR procedures, policies and processes
- Research and support implementation of modern practices of talent acquisition and other HR functions
- Support the Compensation and Benefits team in human capital system data entry and reporting
- Assist with Wellness and Health and Safety related activities
- Other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned
- University degree or college diploma in Human Resources or related area is an asset
- Previous experience within recruitment or administration is an asset
- Tenacity, initiative and drive balanced with flexibility and adaptability
- A keen creative eye and demonstrated social media skills
- Eager to learn the latest emerging technologies and trends in social media and an ability to put them to use (and show others how to)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional organization skills, sense of urgency, attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work with multiple priorities, in a fast paced changing environment
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. We strive to develop and maintain an environment where everyone feels welcome to participate and where respect and acceptance are practised by all. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please Note: The monthly stipend amount for a recent graduate and persons with disabilities is $2790/month, and for a skilled newcomer it is $3090/month.