The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
The Operations Department of the Corporation of the City of Markham is currently seeking a Public Utilities Technician Intern.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Survey, Utilities and Right-of-Way, the Public Utilities Technician is responsible for the Review and approval of municipal consent (MC) plans of various complexities for construction of utility infrastructure within City Right of Way (ROW).
- Review MC applications and detailed design drawings of various complexities for the construction/repair of utility infrastructure in the City ROW
- Evaluate implications of proposal to City operations, infrastructure & ROW users to mitigate negative impacts.
- Verify compliance with applicable acts, agreements, & standards. (i.e. CRTC, TRCA, OMA, MTO, Engineering)
- Liaise with other City departments to obtain comments for special criteria (road cuts, tree removals, heritage)
- Coordinate Utilities to avoid constructor conflicts, reduce impacts & costs and identify joint build opportunities
- Utilize Amanda, GIS, and Adobe Pro, to set out detailed comments / work conditions & issue Permits.
- Respond to enquiries/ ACRS regarding utility related concerns
- Complete site visits and pre and post utility inspections when required to facilitate permit process
- Assist with coordination and administration of streetlight maintenance works.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & QUALIFICATION:
- Graduate of University Civil/Electrical Engineering
- Understanding of Utility installations
- Good Communication/Computer/Project Management Skills
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.