The City of Markham, Community Services Commission, Operations Department has a 5 month internship opportunity commencing May 2023. The Operations Department is committed to delivering excellent customer service to Markham residents and monitoring services continuously to ensure that high standards of maintenance are achieved on our network of roads. Our department is involved with the management, maintenance and improvement of lands and assets located within Markham’s public road allowance and in City parks.
The intern will assist the Operations - Roads team as follows:
- Assist Road Supervisors and Working Supervisors with administrative and field work on road rehabilitation and maintenance programs including a variety of contracts including but not limited to asphalt resurfacing, concrete works, crack sealing, guiderails, fence repairs, etc
- Conduct sidewalk inspections (identifying deficiencies)
- Prepare condition assessment reports
- Coordinate repairs
- Notify residents of construction activities
- Investigate and remediate resident complaints or critical issues
- Digitizing previous condition assessment reports
- Update and maintain sidewalk database
- Other duties as assigned
- Completion of a College or University program with a focus on Civil Engineering including 1 to 3 years of experience;
- Specific coursework or exposure related to the operations and maintenance and/or design and construction of linear infrastructure (pavements, sidewalks etc);
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work proficiently with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) along with Adobe Acrobat or FoxIt in a Windows environment;
- Valid Ontario G class drivers licence;
- Must provide your own safety boots that meet the CSA “Green Patch” rating;
- Complete all required safety training;
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of 2 Health Canada approved vaccination doses. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.