WE CONNECT PEOPLE TO THEIR PASSIONS THROUGH GREAT CONTENT
Blue Ant Media is a privately held, international content producer, distributor and channel operator. From our production houses around the world, we create content for multiple genres including factual, factual entertainment, short-form digital series and kids programming. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a catalogue of 3,200+ hours of content, including the largest 4K natural history offering on the market. Blue Ant Media’s international channel business offers a portfolio of media brands around the globe. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with operations in Los Angeles, Singapore, Auckland, Dunedin, London, Washington, Sydney, Beijing and Taipei. Follow us on: Twitter/LinkedIn/Instagram
Our productions and media brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values: optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Are you one of us?
Manager, Receivables & Revenue (MRR)
Reporting directly to the Financial Controller, the MRR will lead all aspects of the Company’s revenue accounting, including revenue recognition, invoicing and collections. The MRR will be responsible for preparing Group wide revenue projections and for ensuring consistent application of relevant accounting policies and practices across the Group, with a focus on the Company’s Canadian and UK operations.
Core Responsibilities & Duties
- Manage the Revenue and Receivables team, ensuring optimal allocation of duties with a focus on continuous professional development.
- Lead the A/R team in continuous efforts to improve processes, work-flows and create efficiencies, i.e. through the use of IT systems, collaborating with sales and operations teams, documenting all SOPs etc.
- Identify any gaps and/or opportunities in current set-up of department in meeting objectives, i.e. current structure, availability and use of resources, etc.
Period Close Process
- Manage the Revenue and Receivable aspects of the close process. Working closely with the Controller, ensure the close is well managed and supported, deadlines are respected and identify opportunities for efficiencies.
- Oversee the recording of inter-company revenue, and ensure these complex entries are booked in accordance with Transfer Pricing Agreements, and that the allocations of revenue between various business lines are accurate.
- Continual assessment of Bad Debt risk and consultation with the Controller as to adequacy of reserve on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Manage the calculation and accrual of costs that are driven off revenue - specifically sales commissions and Producer royalties. The MRR will be expected to develop, over time, a thorough understanding of the contractual arrangements underpinning such costs so as to be able assess the accuracy and completeness of costs and accrued liabilities.
- Ensure Revenue accuracy and completeness, review Gross Margins on Digital Sales, ensuring appropriate matching of costs and revenues on such projects, working closely with Accounts Payable and relevant Business Units.
- Manage the reconciliation of all related Balance Sheet accounts in accordance with the close schedules.
- Monitor aging of receivables and credit limits and ensuring each team member is focused on collections.
- Working closely with Business Units and Operation colleagues to ensure they are aware of any challenges and are supporting Finance’s efforts to collect.
- In tandem with the Controller, develop a collection forecasting process, ideally on a rolling 13 week basis, updated every two weeks, for use in the company’s overall cash forecasting model.
- Ensure the Company proactively obtains the Tax certificates needed to minimize withholding tax expense in international markets.
- Focus on expanding the Company’s ability to quickly and accurately forecast revenue across the Group. The MRR will develop a rolling 12 month model forecasting Group wide revenue streams. This rolling forecast would be updated on a monthly basis, once actual revenue for a given month is determined. Successful completion of this objective will require the MRR to fully understand the key drivers of our various revenue streams, and to develop strong relationships with senior Sales & Operations personnel.
- Working closely with the Controller and VP Finance, the MRR will play a key role in managing the calculation and payment of quarterly commissions to Sales reps.
- Working with the Tax & Treasury Senior Manager, ensure that all indirect taxes, including in foreign jurisdictions are appropriately billed and collected.
- Keep informed on developments in Accounting standards as they pertain to revenue recognition, ensuring that Blue Ant is compliance, and that the Company can model with certainly the future accounting treatment associated with various deal structures.
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Designated accountant with 4+ years of industry experience, experience in Media is an asset
- Familiarity with ERP Accounting software, experience with NetSuite is an asset
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically intermediate+ skills in Excel
- Strong customer service focus coupled with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience in managing teams of 2+, and comfortable making collection calls
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in sales and operations, while ensuring that the Company’s internal controls and risk management needs are adhered to
- Ambition to ultimately grow beyond this role and take on progressively more challenging roles within the team
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada.