Located in the Bristol Circle neighbourhood of Oakville, with easy access to the 403, QEW and the Cineplex Oakville Entertainment Centrum, Guaranteed Funeral Deposits of Canada (GFD) is an organization dedicated to serving bereavement professionals across Canada.
Our environment is friendly, flexible and inclusive. At GFD, you will be working in a progressive forward-thinking financial services company that is growing quickly and has lots of opportunity for career growth and advancement. In this role you will gain exposure to service excellence.
Position Summary Reporting directly to the Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for managing the general ledgers, processing and recording payments, reconciling accounts, preparing and updating forecasts, and oversight of statutory reporting as well as provide support for reconciliations of member reports, communicating with external and internal stakeholders, understanding transaction details and interest/growth calculations.The Senior Accountant will assist in the absence of the Controller.
The successful incumbent shall ensure high standards of accuracy are maintained; meet with the Controller on a regular basis to provide updates on cash flow, liquidity and work flow; ensure period-end processes are completed within the established deadlines; ensure quality control of payables, receivables and journal entries; process and monitor bank payments; reconcile all bank accounts and various general ledger accounts monthly; assist with the development of strategies that minimize operational risk; prepare and present various reports; process cheques and EFT remittances; and assist auditors and appointed actuary as needed.
Qualifications & Skills
The successful incumbent must have the following:
▪ University degree in Accounting (or related field) preferred with 5-7 years of related accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
▪ Must either have, or be working towards a CPA designation;
▪ Sound knowledge of IFRS and IASB and experience with external audits;
▪ Sound knowledge of Word and Excel (including an advanced level of vlookup, pivot tables, macros, sumif as examples);
▪ Excellent accuracy and organizational skills;
▪ Sound business judgement, including the ability to handle sensitive and highly confidential information;
▪ Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all levels;
▪ Solid team player with a strong customer service focus;
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong editing and proofing skills;
▪ Positive attitude and a friendly demeanor. Preference will be given to candidates with sound knowledge and prior experience with Oracle NetSuite.