Maker programs are gaining steam. Demand for our programs is growing fast and that means we need an awesome General Manager & Camp Director to serve an enthusiastic and growing fan base. Your job will be to lead the sales, operations, and member experience for MakerKids’ Bloor West Village location – as well as HR, standards management, and more. Other role tasks are varied: developing new marketing ideas, shop organization, materials purchasing, coordinating events, etc. This role assists in running all “front of house” makerspace operations, with a strong focus on premium customer service as well as meeting sales expectations. Ideal candidate has strong customer service skills and sales experience. You will be responsible for meeting and exceeding all key performance sales indicators for the makerspace, including membership sales and renewals, retail and concession sales, maximizing traffic, and maintaining premium customer service levels.We are looking for someone who is a customer-experience pro to represent the MakerKids vision and support our MakerKids community.
- Operations: Keep the Centre running smoothly. Ensure cleanliness, safety, and overall positive customer experience
- Leadership: Provide exemplary leadership to the team. Through ongoing feedback and support, hire and build a great team who embody the character, culture and commitment of the company.
- Sales: Responsible for doing sales and achieving sales objectives in the areas related to all revenue streams. Review all statistics on a daily basis with a view to prospecting and meeting sales goals. Conduct telephone inquiries/follow up calls/customer care calls. Lead makerspace previews with prospects and/or program holders. Responsible for processing accurate cash and credit card transactions. Follow up and follow through activities with all prospective clients
- Marketing: Create brand awareness, drive traffic, and generate leads through events, social media, communication with schools, email marketing, ads, and more. Maintain an effective referral program
- Member Experience: Provide exemplary member care. Responsible for member experience objectives, collect feedback and share with team. Proper onboarding of MakerKids clients
- Admin: Maintain accurate records using established MakerKids systems. Manage and fulfill all back office paperwork, filing, reporting, and processing requirements
- Front of House: Greets members and guests promptly, enthusiastically and with a smile to create a friendly positive entrance into the MakerKids makerspace. Support kids and their families as they come in and out of class, have questions about our programs, and have issues that need to be solved. Sign all kids in and out in accordance with MakerKids Sign-in/Sign-out policies.
- Customer service: Responds immediately to requests, inquiries and concerns. Represent MakerKids energetically, passionately, and professionally
- Human Resources: recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, supervision, evaluation, performance management, teambuilding, giving feedback, leadership, role modeling, ensuring staff are acting in accordance with core values and standards. Support and work with Head Instructor and Instructors to meet objectives and review and address all outstanding issues. Assist with 1-2 MakerKids scheduled classes per week
- Day-to-day Procedures: Accurately follow the daily cleaning checklist (pre/during/post) shift activities. Walk the makerspace on a daily basis ensuring a 5 star standard of maintenance, cleanliness and safety. Maintains an organized and clean classroom/lobby/front desk area. Work closely with team members to ensure that processes are fulfilled
- Standards management: ensuring day-to-day procedures are in place to fulfill policy, site inspections, Health & Safety, ensure adherence to Ontario Camps Association standards and best practices. Manage, train and report on incidents & emergency response management. Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following MakerKids standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff
- Finances: Maintain budgets, administer payroll, oversee expenses
- Systems: Refine and/or develop and implement systems for all of the above
- Documentation: Enhance and/or create documentation for all systems and processes that is easy for others to follow
- Training: Deliver and/or develop training content for franchisees and staff. Responsible for attending and participating in all related MakerKids training programs
You’ll love this role if you:
- Want to have a positive impact on kids
- Want to share your love for technology and making
- Dig a relaxed, casual, and fun work environment (warning: musical theatre nerds among us)
- Did we mention having fun at work? We like doing stuff together – improv classes, escape rooms, and other staff socials
- And we also take our work seriously, create space for each other’s opinions and perspectives, and pursuing success together
This is a year-round with hours including afternoons, weeknights, and weekends. A sample schedule during the school year is Monday-Wednesday 12:30-8:30PM, and Saturdays and Sundays 9:30-5:30PM. A sample schedule for the summer is Monday-Wednesday 8:30AM-4:30PM, Sundays 9:30AM-5:30PM.
Qualifications – What do I need to be successful in this role?
- You’re a creative, energetic, outgoing and approachable person who likes working with kids and exploring new ideas
- You have experience working in a leadership role in an experiential learning setting such as school, summer camp, museum interpretation, outdoor adventure, Montessori
- Preferred if you have camp management experience
- You have excellent communication skills, written and oral, and experience communicating with children and their families
- You’re a Maker, with interest and experience designing and creating things
- Ability to act under pressure and keep a clear head
- Experience delivering top-notch customer service
- You are results focused and goal driven. You thrive on meeting and exceeding objectives and goals. You like to keep score and are energized by monitoring and following metrics
- You are passionate about the MakerKids brand, technology, purpose and mission
- Previous sales experience, with strong sales skills (experience working in a sales quota bearing structure highly preferred)
- You are a customer-experience pro! Experience in sales and management of kids’ programs is considered an asset, though sales and management experience in a customer service environment is also good (preferably 2 years or more)
- Proven track record of exceeding sales and operational objectives
- Able to multi-task and excel in a busy environment.
- Have a demonstrated ability in the recruitment and management of a camp staff team
- Knowledgeable, confident and comfortable with methodology and policy of supervising kids (you innately know what kids should and shouldn’t be allowed to do)
- Very strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- You are great at building systems, creating and updating documentation, and training
- Ideal if you have experience in a franchised company
- Functional computer skills required – MS Office basic programs (Word, Excel), Internet, Basic computer program software use
- Ability to work and function in a MakerKids TEAM environment (Team is more than a just a word, it’s an attitude)
- You enjoy working with other people, especially kids and their families
- You are interested in being a part of a fast-paced, team-oriented workplace
- You are inspired by getting involved in a growing makerspace movement