As a member of the Corporate Services Division, the HR Generalist Intern is primarily accountable to the Director, Corporate Services, and will work closely with members of the Corporate Services Team, and in collaboration with all levels within the organization to develop, implement and evaluate a People Strategy Program that aligns with the Health Unit’s 2019-2023 Strategic Plan, in accordance with Board of Health policies and Ministry of Health guidelines.
The HR Generalist Intern will provide broad and up-to-date knowledge of employment laws, organizational behavior, change management, labour relations, performance management, best practices and organizational policies and procedures.
This position is expected to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team to identify, review and assess existing tools, processes, policies, procedures and practices that may require enhancement and/or alteration so alignment with the new values and desired organizational culture of positive mental health and well-being (National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace) can be achieved.
This position may involve travel and variations of the working day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Administration and Human Resources
• Provides expert input across a range of HR issues.
• Designs and delivers a People Strategy program that meets the needs of the organization by clarifying project objectives, setting timelines, conducting research and developing and organizing information.
• Drives consistency of approach across the organization in attracting, managing and developing talent to support current and future organizational needs.
• Works closely with all levels of the organization to ensure that tools and policies are aligned, enhance employee engagement and improve organizational culture.
• Uses data and analytics to measure the effectiveness of tools and policies and understands the organizational landscape for further improvement.
• Understands and anticipates the need for change, diagnoses the underlying issues and builds the case for change with stakeholders.
• Builds frameworks to plan and manage the continuous process of change including dependencies, risk, and mitigate on strategies.
• Develops human resources solutions by collecting and analyzing information; recommending courses of action.
• Maintains competency by attending appropriate continuing education workshops, seminars and through private study.
• Maintains effective working relationships with Management, Divisions, and other Health Unit staff.
• Effectively utilizes project management tools and methodologies to manage organizational initiatives within Corporate Services to ensure deliverables are met on-time, within budget while ensuring overall customer satisfaction.
• Determines organization's needs, develops strategies to meet those needs, and evaluates their effectiveness.
• Works in a safe manner as required by Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
• Performs work in an environment with occasional exposure to minor and/or little exposure to major disagreeable conditions.
• Does light physical activity of intermediate duration and medium physical activity of short duration.
• Performs work involving almost continuous periods of mental, visual and/or auditory concentration of intermediate duration and/or frequent periods of long duration.
• Detects and works toward eliminating health hazards in all assigned areas.
• Master’s Degree in Human Resources or related field.
• 5 years related work experience in human resources management.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel; proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint.
• Experience in a unionized, public-sector work environment preferred.
• Demonstrates strong analytical and data gathering abilities.
• Self-starter with excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
• Highly organized and ability to manage concurrent deadlines and multiple priorities.
• Ability to communicate and present information, both verbally and written, effectively withall levels of the organization.