Position Title: Business Development Manager
Division: Digital Learning
Department: Partnerships & Business Development
Reports To: Director, Business Administration and Partnerships
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (hybrid work)
TVO is at a unique intersection of education, journalism, digital technology, broadcast, and philanthropy. As creators of award-winning content, we’ve been inspiring learning that changes lives and enriches communities since 1970. Our vision is to be a globally recognized digital learning organization.
What’s in it for you
When it comes to learning, we walk the talk: it’s the cornerstone of everything we do, and each one of us invests deeply in our own learning while elevating each other’s knowledge – whether through peer-to-peer learning, workshops or lunch & learns. You’ll work with folks who are thrilled and driven by the digital learning and media landscapes. Roll up your sleeves and work cross-functionally with great teams where collaboration is the beating heart of all that we do. We’re a tight-knit community and we’re just the right size, meaning that you’ll get to meet and work with people from across our organization, at all levels – the ones who have been here for 10 months, 10 years, and well beyond. Maybe you’ll even get to meet Polkaroo.
Who we are
TVO is poised for its next chapter as we embark on the next phase of strategic planning. We know we are a better organization when we honour our commitments, when we thrive with diverse voices, when we value bold thinking, and embrace change. We understand and celebrate that we are better, together.
We are proud and thrilled to be named a Greater Toronto Top Employer of 2022! This is a testament to the incredible work we do, every day, and the impact that we have on the lives of Ontarians.
However you jump in with us, you’ll join a team of good people who are constantly inspired and challenged to do great work. Join us on our journey as we go from great to greater.
TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario, and is a registered charity supported by thousands of sponsors and donors. Find and follow us on: YouTube (@TVO), Twitter (@TVO), Facebook (@TVO), and Instagram (@WeAreTVO).
This exciting role will be focused on securing global partnerships to drive student recruitment effort and support TVO’s long term self-generated and growth strategy.
TVO is embarking on an ambitious long-term strategy to drive value through the development of unique products that will help transform digital education.
How you will make an impact
• Define and deliver a comprehensive go-to-market approach for one or more of the following territories: South Asia, Latin America, Africa, and Middle East to drive revenue and improve the product feature set for TVO's global expansion, opening new markets, new partnerships, and creating new offerings that can delight both our student users and partners alike
• Manage the end-to-end sales cycle including pipeline development, planning, and execution for assigned markets; including development and implementation of annual business plans, contingencies and the recommendation of on-going modifications to achieve the market share, revenue targets, and profit objectives
• Collaborate with established partners to identify new opportunities in existing territories and present key features and benefits of TVO Independent Learning Centre (ILC) to support their in-market growth and student acquisition strategies
• In collaboration with TVO leaders, drive key growth initiatives, identify and develop new joint venture opportunities and support the mandated best-in-class customer service experience
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of TVO ILC digital learning products and the digital learning competitive landscape, and international student enrollment and mobility trends
• Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop and deliver customized presentations demonstrating the value proposition of our products and service to current and potential international partners
• Onboard new partners and support the implementation of the ILC programs to ensure a high level of client satisfaction
• Work with TVO’s product, marketing and digital education teams to support product iteration and development as well as marketing initiatives and promotional opportunities
• Prepare documentation, including sales reporting and presentations on a weekly/monthly basis, or as required
• Cultivate relationships with student groups and associations to promote recruiting opportunities and participate in student recruitment events domestically and overseas
• Contribute to the development of TVO ILC’s strategic revenue plan
• Research and identify potential partnership opportunities in the assigned markets, and provide monthly reports on markets trends that impact education, student mobility and digital education technologies
What you will bring to TVO
• University Degree, coupled with 5+ years of business-to-business sales experience, preferably in the education sector
• Demonstrated success in an international business development role, meeting and exceeding revenue targets
• Strong understanding of and experience with business cultures in one or more of the following markets: South Asia, Latin America, Africa, and Middle East
• Functioning knowledge of Canadian secondary and post-secondary education landscape, including international student recruitment, academic issues, market trends, regulatory environment, networks and contacts
• Proven track record of leading and driving multiple complex business development opportunities and programs to meet business objectives and a demonstrated ability to translate strategic initiatives into detailed operation plans
• Entrepreneurial team player with determined attitude and ability to meet revenue targets
• Demonstrated ability to operate as part of a team or autonomously while defining and delivering priorities amidst ambiguity
• Excellent communication skills (written & verbal), including the ability to present complex topics both in person, over the phone and online presentations
• Familiarity with the use of communication and information technologies for administrative and marketing purposes
• Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, conflict resolution and customer service skills
• Demonstrated adaptability and flexibility to work with cross functional internal teams and various external stakeholders
• Superb organizational and follow-up abilities
• Preference would be given to candidates with market specific language competencies (including but not limited to Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Bengali, Hindi, etc.)
• Demonstrates TVO's values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect