OPPORTUNITY TYPE: FULL-TIME, CONTRACT
START DATE: IMMEDIATELY
REPORTS TO: ACCOUNTING MANAGER
Hot Docs is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing and celebrating the art of documentary and to creating production opportunities for documentary filmmakers. Annual budget is 11 million dollars.
Hot Docs is seeking a full-time Accountant, initially on contract, to assist with the day-to-day financial administration including accounts receivable and payable, reconciliation of bank and general ledger accounts, distributor reporting, and other tasks as assigned by the Finance Director.. The successful candidate will join a growing team responsible for the financial accounting of North America’s largest documentary festival, conference and market, working to create new systems and processes in a post-pandemic world.
- Code and process accounts payable invoices in QuickBooks, including setting up new vendors, running check payments, and creating electronic payments (i.e., EFT, ACH, and wires) via online banking platform.
- Code and enter accounts receivable invoices using Salesforce and QuickBooks, including the application of customer payments.
- Reconcile and process Visa and Amex corporate credit card statements and employee expense reports, including review of receipts against the reports and properly coding expenses before entering in QuickBooks.
- Assist with reconciling bank accounts, prepaid expense, intercompany, and other general ledger accounts.
- Work with various departments on accounts receivable and reconciliation of registrations and submissions fees.
- Work with the festival and cinema programming teams to ensure box office reports are created and provided to distributors/filmmakers and subsequent invoices are obtained and processed in a timely fashion.
- General administrative support to the Accounting Manager and assistance with developing process efficiencies in the accounting department.
- 2-4 years of accounts payable (AP), accounts receivable (AR) and general accounting experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using QuickBooks Premier Desktop version, specifically with processing AP and AR transactions, posting journal entries, and creating/running reports.
- Experience using online banking for business platforms to set up EFT, ACH and wire transactions.
- Understanding of prepaid expenses, deferred revenue, fixed assets, and foreign currency transactions.
- Advanced Excel skills (i.e., pivot table, v-lookups, conditional formulas) and proficiency with other Microsoft 365 applications.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and handle a high volume of transactions.
- Exposure to Salesforce and Moneris a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcomes applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Hiring Manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.