City of Mississauga
Community Services Department
Parks & Forestry Division
Planning Coordinator with our Long Term Planning Section
Be part of the Park Planning Team! Our section consists of both planners and landscape architects who work together to plan for parks and open space, expand City’s parkland, protect City park assets, review policy and comment on behalf of the department development applications, Environmental Assessments and City realty matters.
The section consists of two groups: Parks Assets and Long-Term Planning.
This position is within the Long-Term Planning group. This group offers the following services:
- Development of long-term plans, strategies, and recreational land use studies
- Coordinates public engagement for the planning and development of parks
- Coordinates and comments on behalf of the Community Services Department on provincial and municipal studies and policies that impact park land and facilities and the redevelopment of City park facilities
- Coordinates the preparation of use, management and operation Agreements for City park, library and fire property, and directs all Park/Facility Naming
- Recent graduate from a recognized university program in Planning or a related discipline, degrees outside of Canada must have a Canadian equivalency.
- Eligibility for designation as a Professional Planner in the province of Ontario (RPP) is required
- A functional understanding of the development approvals process would be an asset
- Experience working in a municipality and/or in park or open space planning would be preferred.
- Applied experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Adobe Suite is mandatory
- Applicants must have strong organizational, time and task management skills, in addition to excellent written and verbal communication abilities
- For full competency, the applicant would benefit from course work in planning law, statistics, geomatics, economics, landscape architecture and/or recreation studies
- Must possess a valid driver’s license; vehicle access is preferred (mileage is paid for by the City). The successful candidate will be required to carry the appropriate car insurance for use of their vehicle for City business
Under the direction of the Team Leader of Long-term Planning, the Planning Assistant will lead or support activities regarding parks, open space and recreational facilities, including but not limited to:
- Prepare responses to residents request as pertaining to parks and park assets
- Analyze neighborhood parkland, site inventories and inspections
- Prepare reports and studies, including those for the naming of parkland, and parkland inventory
- Review environmental assessments and impact studies
- Research and coordination of capital projects and special studies
- Provision of consultative services to the internal departments, public agencies and the community.
- Prepare conceptual drawing (hand and computer aided)
- Assist with formal presentations and open houses, public information sessions and public meetings
- Support other planners and team members
- Other duties as assigned
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.